In training and on the lookout for men harassing women
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
The softspoken officer is thrifty with detail. "You should not ask a woman's age," she says, then smiles, "I am 23-24 years old." She was in physical training at the Police Training College, Hazaribagh, for a year. Posted in Ranchi since January this year, she is getting to grips with the administrative part of the job. The eight-month module is due to end in August, after which she will be handed her first posting.
She was recruited on October 10, 2011. Her father, Salkhan Murmu, retired from the state's agriculture department at the end of the same month. "He was so happy to see me in active service before he retired," says Nisha, who hails from Sahebganj district and studied in Ranchi, at DAV Public School in Hehal and St Xavier's College.
She says she too had faced "eve teasing" while at college. "I used to object to it then, too. Now, we cannot afford to arrest all harassers — that would mean sending a large number of young men to jail. We often call their guardians to the station, get a bond signed saying they will not repeat it, then let them go," she says.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress