India at US Open: Sania Mirza-Jie Zheng go down in straight sets
- Rahul Gandhi brings up Narendra Modi's marital status at Doda rally
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Why should I condemn it, asks Deve Gowda on Mulayam Singh's 'rape' remark
- Congress rakes up Vajpayee's Rajdharma remark post 2002 Gujarat riots to take on Modi
- Those with blood on their hands should not speak about the country: Mamata
- After Mulayam's rape shocker, Abu Azmi suggests death for sex 'with or without consent'
Sania Mirza's US Open campaign ended with a tame semifinal defeat in the women's doubles with partner Jie Zheng against Ashleigh Barty and Casey Dellacqua. Also Read: Leander Paes, Radek Stepanek topple top seeds Bryan brothers
The 10th seeded Indo-Chinese pair, which came into the US Open with New Haven title, lost 2-6 2-6 in an hour and five minutes to the Australian eight seeds. PHOTOS: Paes-Stepanek stun Bryan brothers
Sania and Zheng struggled to hold their serves as they were broken thrice in both the sets.
Sania had bowed out of the mixed doubles with Romanian partner Horia Tecau. They had lost to American Liezel Huber and Marcelo Melo of Brazil. Also Read: Listless Andy Murray crashes out
None of the three Indians could clear the first round hurdle in the mixed doubles first round. Rohan Bopanna lost his opening round with Germany's Julia Goerges while Mahesh Bhupathi and comeback girl Martina Hingis also had similar disappointment.
However, Leander Paes has kept Indian title hopes alive after an upset win over Mike and Bob Brayn in the men's doubles semifinal along with his Czecg partner Radek Stepanek, last night.