India beat Pakistan 5-2, register 1st win in Lanco series
- Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case: Javed Sheikh's father moves CBI court against Amit Shah, ex-DGP; wants them arraigned
- Editors slam Arvind Kejriwal for 'irresponsible' media remark
- I skipped rally because I was misled: Anna Hazare
- Goa court grants permission to Tarun Tejpal to meet his ailing mother
- Arvind Kejriwal alleges whole media is sold, backtracks later
India defeated arch-rivals Pakistan 5-2 in an inconsequential round robin match to register their first win in the Lanco International Super Series hockey tournament here today.
India were by far the dominant side on display in the battle between the two sub-continent giants in the nine-a-side format of the game, better known as Hockey 9s.
India pumped in three goals in the first half and two after the break from the sticks of V R Raghunath (7th minute), S V Sunil (9th, 33rd), Akashdeep Singh (15th) and Manpreet Singh (29th).
Pakistan, on the other hand, scored a goal in each half through Shafqat Rasool and Muhammad Rizwan Sr.
The win will act as a morale booster for India ahead of tomorrow's third-fourth place play-off match against the same opponents.
Meanwhile, hosts and defending champions Australia continued their winning run and demolished England 6-2 to emerge as favourites in the rematch in tomorrow's final.
Both Australia and England had already qualified for the summit clash before coming into today's last round robin game.