India begin title defence with 4-0 win
- âBalaatkariyon ke liye Netaji ka mann ekdum mulayam haiâ
- Ramdev âgoes liveâ on poll funding, Congress hits BJP on black money
- Narendra Modi sent emissaries to open talks on Kashmir: Geelani
- After denying a 'Modi wave', Joshi endorses Modi as India's next PM
- Probe Ajit Pawar tape âthreateningâ to cut water supply: EC tells Pune collector
Vice captain VR Raghunath scored twice as defending champions India started off their Asian Champions Trophy campaign with a 4-0 victory over China. Right winger SV Sunil struck early in the 13th minute, while Raghunath, converted team's first penalty corner five minutes later and then another in the 52nd minute.
In the next minute Ranchi Rhino's proud possession Birendra Lakra deflected a carpet drive off Rupinder Pal Singh, which hit a defender's leg to give India a self goal and a commanding final score of 4-0. Sunil struck in the 13 minute, much against the run of play. He trapped a neat cross from Akashdeep Singh, entered the circle on a spurt before whacking the ball into the net.
Five minutes later, Gurwinder Singh Chandi sped past defenders and hit the ball at the goal. Chinese goalie Rifeng Su came quickly but could not stop ball from rising. India got its first penalty corner of which Raghunath struck with a grounder.