India begin title defence with 4-0 win
- Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case: Javed Sheikh's father moves CBI court against Amit Shah, ex-DGP; wants them arraigned
- Editors slam Arvind Kejriwal for 'irresponsible' media remark
- I skipped rally because I was misled: Anna Hazare
- Goa court grants permission to Tarun Tejpal to meet his ailing mother
- Arvind Kejriwal alleges whole media is sold, backtracks later
Vice captain VR Raghunath scored twice as defending champions India started off their Asian Champions Trophy campaign with a 4-0 victory over China. Right winger SV Sunil struck early in the 13th minute, while Raghunath, converted team's first penalty corner five minutes later and then another in the 52nd minute.
In the next minute Ranchi Rhino's proud possession Birendra Lakra deflected a carpet drive off Rupinder Pal Singh, which hit a defender's leg to give India a self goal and a commanding final score of 4-0. Sunil struck in the 13 minute, much against the run of play. He trapped a neat cross from Akashdeep Singh, entered the circle on a spurt before whacking the ball into the net.
Five minutes later, Gurwinder Singh Chandi sped past defenders and hit the ball at the goal. Chinese goalie Rifeng Su came quickly but could not stop ball from rising. India got its first penalty corner of which Raghunath struck with a grounder.