India celebrates 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda
- Detention of separatists shows how fragile is India-Pak peace process
- Pakistan refuses to host CPU meet, says will not invite J&K speaker
- Rajasthan civic polls: BJP loses face in Raje's bastion of Jhalawar, Dholpur
- Brutally assaulted in jail, claims Dec 16 gangrape convict
- CAG indictment of discoms in Delhi: Best news for AAP government
To commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda on Saturday, a number of functions are being held across the country.
President Pranab Mukherjee will inaugurate the anniversary celebrations at Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi and release a set of commemorative coins and stamps.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi along with several Union Ministers will be present on the occasion.
A National Committee under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was constituted to consider policies, lay down guidelines for the anniversary commemoration and decide on the time frame for related activities.
Madhya Pradesh will observe Swami Vivekanand''s 150th birth anniversary year from January 12 by establishing Vivekananda Youth Centres at district and development block levels.
Swami Vivekananda born as Narendra Nath Datta was a key figure in the introduction of Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the western world.