India celebrates 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
To commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda on Saturday, a number of functions are being held across the country.
President Pranab Mukherjee will inaugurate the anniversary celebrations at Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi and release a set of commemorative coins and stamps.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi along with several Union Ministers will be present on the occasion.
A National Committee under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was constituted to consider policies, lay down guidelines for the anniversary commemoration and decide on the time frame for related activities.
Madhya Pradesh will observe Swami Vivekanand''s 150th birth anniversary year from January 12 by establishing Vivekananda Youth Centres at district and development block levels.
Swami Vivekananda born as Narendra Nath Datta was a key figure in the introduction of Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the western world.
He was also credited with raising interfaith awareness, bringing Hinduism to the status of a major world religion in the late 19th century.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express