India Gate right place to build war memorial: A K Antony
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over hate speech
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
India Gate is the right place to build a national war memorial, Defence Minister A K Antony today said, against the backdrop of opposition by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit to the proposal.
"As far as we are concerned, this (India Gate) is the place to have a war memorial. We are very clear," he told reporters after laying wreath at the Amar Jawan Jyoti to commemorate the 41st anniversary of the Indian victory in the 1971 war with Pakistan.
The Defence Minister was asked to react to the separate letters written by the Delhi Chief Minister opposing the construction of war memorial at the India Gate.
He said after long years of efforts, a Group of Ministers (GoM) set up by Prime Minister and the three Services chiefs had agreed to set up the war memorial here.
"Before taking the proposal to the Cabinet (for approval), the Urban Development Ministry has written to all the stakeholders to seek their comments and views.But I am sure that we will be able to clinch the issue," Antony said when asked if Dikshit's letter may delay the process of building the war memorial at the India Gate complex.
In separate letters to Antony, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath, she has said that an alternative site should be found for the memorial.
Dikshit said India Gate is the only popular hangout place for people of the city and coming up of the memorial there would restrict movement of people in the area due to security reasons, top sources said.
She has said that setting up of the memorial would also affect the ambience of the area.
The armed forces have been demanding a war memorial in the national capital to honour their men who made supreme sacrifice in various wars, conflicts and militancy-related incidents in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit