India Gate right place to build war memorial: A K Antony
- Maharashtra: Building collapses in Thane district, several feared trapped
- Nation pays tribute to Abdul Kalam, funeral in Rameswaram on July 30
- SC bench differs on Yakub's execution, refers plea to larger bench
- 'Your indebted student': Kalam's advisor pays tribute to former President on Facebook
- Gurdaspur attack: GPS shows terror team, got drug cartel help too
The Defence Ministry has been pushing for construction of the memorial near India Gate which is a memorial for soldiers killed in action during the First World War.
In view of the demand of the armed forces, the government had set up the GoM in 2009 which was headed by Pranab Mukherjee before he became the President.
In reply to a query on the proposals cleared by the Cabinet to enhance pensions of ex-servicemen, Antony said the orders in this regard would be issued by next month which would enhance their pension by Rs 2,300 crore."
"Five orders are to be issued of which three have been cleared by the Finance Ministry. I think we would be able to issue all the orders by new year.Government has twice enhanced the pension at the cost of Rs 4,500 crore in the recent past,"