Gangrape victim's only crime was to be born a girl in India, says BJP's Sushma Swaraj
- Missing Malaysian jetliner: Plane's disappearance deliberate, says Malaysian PM
- Eyes on UP prize, Narendra Modi set for Varanasi
- Arrest warrant issued against Devyani Khobragade in US visa fraud case
- Unfazed, Arvind Kejriwal fires yet another salvo at media
- CRPF says police stalled its plan, may have averted Maoist ambush
Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj on Monday expressed profound grief over the death of the 23-year-old gang rape victim, and demanded that speedy justice must be meted out in this unfortunate case.
Swaraj said there is anger and outrage in the BJP condolence meet.
"The girl, who had no relations with me, became my own daughter after this incident. She became the daughter of the entire country. I frequently think as to what was her fault. What crime did she commit? For what did she get punished? After analysing, I find that her only crime was that her body was that of a girl. She was born as a girl so she became the prey to the beast," Swaraj told the gathering at the BJP headquarters here.
Swaraj alleged that the criminals move around fearless in the national capital, and added that they have no fear of the Delhi Police for the two are hand-in-glove with each other.
"She came to a city where the criminals are not afraid of the police. This is not one incident; such incidents keep on happening almost every day. Cases of rape in a moving bus are evident of the fact that criminals in this city do not have any fear of the police. A gentleman fears before going to the police station, but a goon enters the police station with his shirt button open and a scarf in his hand," said Swaraj.
"Buses have today become a den of crime because none of the private buses ply on the road without give and take. Every private bus has a give and take relationship with the police," she added.
Expressing extreme disappointment over the entire handling of the situation by those in power, Swaraj further said the girl is no more, but added that she has wakened the nation''s soul.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy