India rupee down 38 paise against dollar to 61.63
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
Moving in line with equity market, the rupee dropped by 38 paise to 61.63 against the American currency in late morning trade on good dollar demand from banks and importers.
The rupee resumed lower at 61.60 per dollar as against the last closing level of 61.25 per dollar at the Interbank Foreign Exchange (Forex) Market and hovered in a range of 61.57-61.70 before quoting at 61.63 per dollar at 1040 hrs.
Fresh dollar demand from banks and importers mainly affected the rupee value against the dollar, a forex dealer said.
In New York market, the US dollar was little changed yesterday as market participants looked ahead to next week's Federal Reserve policy decision.
In Singapore, oil prices eased in Asian trade today on a mixed US inventory report indicating tepid demand, while expectations of a return of Libyan supplies also weighed, analysts said.
Meanwhile, the BSE benchmark Sensex dropped by 138.49 points, or 0.68 per cent, to 21,032.92 at 1045 hrs.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today