India’s first space weather reading centre in Kolkata
- Farmer’s suicide: Family lashes out at AAP, raises doubt on suicide note
- Human resource India's biggest strength: PM Modi
- Sena-BJP sweep Aurangabad civic polls, AIMIM ahead of Cong, NCP
- Call records may nail red sandalwood killings; NHRC seeks records of personnel involved
- Amit Shah rips Rahul Gandhi for 'post-leave' noises
A centre of excellence specialising in reading space weather conditions to help air traffic on polar routes will come up here by the middle of this year, the first of its kind in the country.
"It will be a centre of excellence in space sciences. The centre's main thrust will be on areas of space weather, especially weather in the solar system and gravitational physics," its coordinator, scientist Dibyendu Nandi, said.
Besides air traffic on polar routes, the centre will help in the functioning of GPS networks and mobile satellites placed in space. Nandi said coronal mass ejections and solar flares were two kinds of storms originating from the sun, which exposed flights to radiation.