India’s first space weather reading centre in Kolkata
- Parliament LIVE: Snooping on Rahul not right, says Congress; 'Asking for facts is not snooping'
- Waste paper to phone use: Govt revives checklist against leaks
- 14 booked for church vandalism in Haryana, cross replaced with Hanuman idol
- Pakistan: Protesters hit the streets after blasts near Lahore churches leave 15 dead
- No arrests in Bengal nun ‘rape’, church attack, local Christians nervous
A centre of excellence specialising in reading space weather conditions to help air traffic on polar routes will come up here by the middle of this year, the first of its kind in the country.
"It will be a centre of excellence in space sciences. The centre's main thrust will be on areas of space weather, especially weather in the solar system and gravitational physics," its coordinator, scientist Dibyendu Nandi, said.
Besides air traffic on polar routes, the centre will help in the functioning of GPS networks and mobile satellites placed in space. Nandi said coronal mass ejections and solar flares were two kinds of storms originating from the sun, which exposed flights to radiation.