India sends max of 200 secret tax info requests to Switzerland
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal holds roadshow in Varanasi before filing nomination
- Bhavnagar model: Muslim buys house, canât move in
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
Investigators' efforts to unlock the Swiss banking secrecy code in money laundering and tax evasion probes have gained momentum with India making maximum number of requests for classified tax data exchange last fiscal to the authorities of the alpine country.
STOCK MARKETS LINKS
India's global requests for obtaining classified tax information, in the face of a number of high-profile tax evasion and scam cases, has also seen a 59 per cent jump – with a total of 646 requests – as compared to a total of 386 similar letters during the 2011-12 fiscal.
While India dispatched the most number of 232 requests for obtaining secret financial information under the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) to Switzerland, it sent 145 similar legal letters to Mauritius during the 2012-13 financial year.
While a huge investment into the country is routed from Mauritius, a number of high-value and criminal probes against a certain number of individuals in the country are connected to blackmoney stashed in Swiss banks.
It is important to note that Switzerland started allowing access to depositors' personal banking and other financial information to Indian tax sleuths only since April 2010 when the existing DTAA between the two nations was revised after diligent efforts by the Union Finance Ministry in this regard.
Among the major countries to which India dispatched its secret tax and finance related queries during 2012-13 fiscal were United Arab Emirates (38), United Kingdom (26), United States of America (61), British Virgin Island (22), Cyprus
(16), Denmark (11) and Singapore (19) while a number of other nations too figured on the same list.
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry
- Pune AAP volunteers all set to hit campaign trail in Varanasi
- ‘Interstate’ gang of chain snatchers held; gold worth Rs 80 lakh seized