India vs Australia: Pro-Ealam outfit protests Sri Lankan umpire officiating match
- BJP nominee to Modi critics: You will soon be in Pak, not India
- China says no to Arunachal youth in India delegation, Minister says letâs call off trip
- Upar Narendra, neeche Bhupinder... new BJP slogan echoes in states of rivals
- Lok sabha polls: Tamizh Talkies
- On Rahul campaign, Sonia tells Amethi: âLike Indira, I gave my son to youâ
About 50 activists of a pro-Ealam outfit were arrested today for staging protest outside M A Chidambaram stadium here against a Sri Lankan umpire officiating in the first India-Australia cricket Test match.
Members of the little-known 'Thanthai Periar Dravidar Kazhagam' were arrested for staging protest against the presence of Lankan umpire Kumara Dharmasena, police said.
The black outfit wearing activists raised slogans against Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapakse for the alleged cold-blooded killing of slain LTTE chief V Prabhakaran's 12-year-old son Balachandran and objected to the presence of a Lankan official for the sporting event.
Meanwhile, another pro-Ealam outfit, the "May 17 Movement", staged a protest outside TNCC headquarters Sathyamurthy Bhavan for the alleged killing of Balachandran.
Around 25 activists were detained, police said.