India would become nation of sales boys, sales girls: Jaitley
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi files nomination, says he didn't get personal with Narendra Modi
CPM's Sitaram Yechury said any FDI must do three things: strengthen domestic industry, create employment and bring in new technology. "FDI in multi-brand retail will do none of these, and therefore our party has been consistent in opposing it," he said. "It would be enlightening for you to know that just 1.2 per cent of Walmart's global workforce of about 1.6 million lives above poverty line in their respective countries."
JD-U's N K Singh sought to inquire from the Prime Minister, who sat through the first four hours of the debate, whether "this was the most important of all the economic reforms" that the country needed. "But if you have decided to force this on the nation, would the government consider introducing some safeguards, like a model contract between the stores and the farmers from who they will source their products so that the producer is protected," he asked. He also urged the government to set up a national regulator in the retail sector.
Earlier, initiating the debate, AIADMK's V Maitreyan said that in case his motion was defeated, he was sure that his party "would play a pivotal role at the Centre" after the next elections. "At that time, I am assuring you, we will reverse this decision," he said.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit