Indian author who wrote on her escape from the Taliban shot dead in Afghanistan
- Union Minister VK Singh's wife files complaint against man alleging extortion, blackmail
- Villagers in dark about why PM Narendra Modi said they have power
- Kashmir: Two soldiers, one policeman killed as militants attack army convoy in Baramulla
- Supreme Court directs Unitech to refund Rs 15 cr to investors
- PV Sindhu stuns world No.2 Wang Yihan of China; win away from medal
Indian author Sushmita Banerjee, 49, whose book about her escape from the Taliban was made into a Bollywood film, was shot dead by militants outside her home in Paktika province of Afghanistan, police said on Thursday.
Banerjee was married to Afghan businessman Jaanbaz Khan and had recently moved back to Afghanistan to live with him.
Suspected Taliban militants arrived at her home in the provincial capital of Kharana, tied up her husband and other family members, took Banerjee out and shot her, police were quoted as saying by BBC. No group has claimed responsibility.
Banerjee's book Kabuliwalar Bangali Bou, about her escape from the Taliban in 1995, was made into a Bollywood film, Escape From Taliban, starring actress Manisha Koirala, in 2003.
"I last met her in 2006... I believe she returned to Afghanistan because of her love for that country,'' said Ujjwal Chatterjee, director of the film.
Yasmin Khan, great granddaughter of Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan, said Banerjee was also attacked by Jaanbaz Khan's friend in Kolkata in 2002. "I believe she should have not returned to Afghanistan... she was not even liked by the Afghan community here," she said.
- Playing the Baloch card: We have acknowledged that India, Pakistan are deeply hyphenated
- Sharmila is the doer who breaks a grand vow to protect the greater common good
- Seventy years later, the sedition law is cramping all our freedoms
- Prepaid electricity in Manipur reduces power theft; improves supply
- Prime Minister’s I-Day speech was a spectacle that didn’t hold together
- Linking PoK with Balochistan could undermine India’s high moral ground vis a vis Pakistan