Indian clerics flay imposition of 'Jizya' on Pakistani Sikhs
- Dadri reminds us how PM Modi bears responsibility for the poison that is being spread
- Kill policemen, never commit suicide: Hardik tells Patel youth
- From Arvind Kejriwal to Rahul Gandhi: Who said what on Dadri lynching
- Forensic lab rules out drug overdose in Indrani Mukerjea case
- Bihar polls: After Nitish Kumar's remark, BJP promises free petrol for scooties
Criticising the imposition of 'Jizya' on Sikh community in Pakistan by Taliban, top Muslim clerics on Tuesday said this is nothing more than "extortion" by an armed and lawless gang.
Head of Darul Uloom Farangi Mahal Maulana Khalid Rasheed and Naib Imam of Lucknow Idgah expressed serious concern over the reports of Taliban extracting huge amount of money from Sikhs as 'Jizya' in Pakistan's Aurakzai tribal region.
They also flayed the Talibani militants for damaging the property of those Sikhs who have not paid the "tax".
"The imposition of the so-called Jizya is nothing more than extortion by an armed and lawless gang which does not constitute a sovereign government or state or even an organ thereof," Maulana Khalid Rasheed said.
Moreover, Pakistan's tribal areas are not "conquered lands" and the non-Muslim population has been living there for centuries", Maulana Khalid pointed out.
As per Islam, Jizya is a tax paid in an Islamic state for exemption from military service by healthy non-Mulsim adults, he said in a statement.
He added that "for many centuries 'Jizya' had not been levied by Muslim states and on Tuesday even the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia does not levy Jizya on non-Muslims".