Indian cuisine in world's top 10 food list
- Haji Ali dargah will have to open doors for women after Bombay HC ruling
- My vision for India is rapid transformation, not gradual evolution: PM Modi
- Panel works on alternative to pellets: Balls of pepper, capsicum gas
- Scorpene leak: Firms to be blacklisted only in cases of clear criminality, says Parrikar
- Sheena Bora murder: Taped conversations emerging on media submitted in court, says CBI
Indian cuisine and food is among the top 10 list of the world's best food preferred by global travellers while on holidays, according to a new worldwide food survey by Hotels.com.
About five percent of international travellers preferred Indian cuisine and food when on holiday, the survey which questioned more than 27,000 travellers said today.
The survey shows there is tough competition for more traditional favourites such as Italian and French cuisine.
International travellers favour mostly Italian (32 percent) and French (24 percent) cuisine while travelling or on holidays, while the dishes from the 'Land of the Rising Sun' Japan are gaining popularity with more cosmopolitan palates with 18 percent, the survey reveals.
Several other Asian countries and regions appear in the top 10 list, including mainland China (13 percent), Thailand (8 percent) and Taiwan (5 percent).
The popularity of 'Paella and Tapas' could have contributed to Spain clinching fifth place (11 percent) on the list, while those who love burger and fries have helped the US to secure sixth place (10 percent) in the table.
Meanwhile, Indian travellers feel the world's best local food is found in India (38 percent) followed by the US (31 percent) and China (17 percent).
Within India, travellers voted for the capital city of New Delhi (33 percent) as having the best local food, followed by Mumbai (20 percent) at second place and Kolkata at a close 18 percent, it further said.
Since Indians are known to be family oriented, they voted London, New York and Paris as the best cities in the world for family dining, it said.
Hotels.com is a leading online accommodation booking website with over 150,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favourites and bed & breakfasts, together with all information needed to book the perfect stay.
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within
- Anger of Irom Sharmila’s supporters should not be dismissed as selfishness or cynicism
- You keep the cow’s tail: A post card from Una, Gujarat, August 15
- History shows why Balochistan is not an internal matter of Pakistan
- The use of technology will be key to making GST a success
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully