Indian domestic worker 'repeatedly raped, tortured' by employees in UK
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
An Indian domestic worker in the UK was repeatedly raped and beaten by her employers who threatened to murder her if she complained, it has emerged.
A court heard that the 39-year-old vulnerable and illiterate mother-of-four was used as a ''sexual toy'' and ''general dogsbody'' by an extended family and their friend who forced her to become their slave for a total of six years.
She was scalded with boiling water, burned with a hot iron, beaten and threatened her throat would be cut and her body buried in a back garden if she didn''t do as she was told.
The Croydon Crown Court heard how the abuse continued despite the woman approaching numerous agencies for help, the Daily Mail, reports.
Aleemuddin Mohammed, 44, a supermarket manager, and his wife Shamina Yousuf, 42, are accused of assaulting the woman and paying her just 24 pounds during the two years and eight months she worked for them.
The woman was also sent to live with an acquaintance of the family, optician Shashi Obhrai, 53, from Northwood, who is accused of assaulting her.
According to the paper, after two years and eight months with the couple, who paid just 24 pounds for that period, the victim escaped with the help of a Pakistani stranger at a supermarket.