Indian domestic worker 'repeatedly raped, tortured' by employees in UK
- Combating terrorism must be major priority for G20: PM Narendra Modi
- Obama on Paris attack: Twisted ideology behind killing of innocents
- G20 summit: India pledges to hike renewable energy output to 175GW by 2022
- Two attackers killed in Paris were Frenchmen living in Brussels
- Petrol price hiked by 36 paise/litre, diesel by 87 paise/litre
An Indian domestic worker in the UK was repeatedly raped and beaten by her employers who threatened to murder her if she complained, it has emerged.
A court heard that the 39-year-old vulnerable and illiterate mother-of-four was used as a ''sexual toy'' and ''general dogsbody'' by an extended family and their friend who forced her to become their slave for a total of six years.
She was scalded with boiling water, burned with a hot iron, beaten and threatened her throat would be cut and her body buried in a back garden if she didn''t do as she was told.
The Croydon Crown Court heard how the abuse continued despite the woman approaching numerous agencies for help, the Daily Mail, reports.
Aleemuddin Mohammed, 44, a supermarket manager, and his wife Shamina Yousuf, 42, are accused of assaulting the woman and paying her just 24 pounds during the two years and eight months she worked for them.
The woman was also sent to live with an acquaintance of the family, optician Shashi Obhrai, 53, from Northwood, who is accused of assaulting her.
According to the paper, after two years and eight months with the couple, who paid just 24 pounds for that period, the victim escaped with the help of a Pakistani stranger at a supermarket.
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly
- Paris attacks: The loss of innocence
- How the AMU professor became a rallying point for LGBT movement
- Across the aisle: The ethos of India wins the election
- Salvation of India rests with Modi, provided he reforms himself