Indian sentenced to prison for threatening to bomb US company
- GMR pilots skip medical tests before flying Rahul Gandhi, to be grounded
- Supreme Court recognises third gender, glimmer of hope for gays
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- Train derails in Assam, at least 50 passengers injured
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sonia Gandhi to address first poll rally in Telangana today
A 56-year old Indian man, who had called himself a "terrorist", has been sentenced to six months imprisonment for threatening to bomb a Connecticut-based company.
Shaneel Jain of Rhode Island was sentenced today by US District Judge Robert Chatigny in Hartford to six months of imprisonment, one year of supervised release and three months of home confinement for threatening to bomb the facilities of Z-Medica Corporation, US Attorney for the District of Connecticut David Fein said.
A jury had in July this year found Jain guilty of one count of making a bomb threat and one count of false information and hoaxes.
According to the evidence presented during the trial, Jain made a series of telephone calls from India to Z-Medica in April 2010. At the time, he was engaged in a civil lawsuit with Z-Medica based on their prior business relationship.
Z-Medica produces QuickClot, a medical agent that rapidly stops bleeding outside the surgical setting. QuickClot is used by the US military and the militaries of some allied countries.
During these phone calls, Jain threatened to bomb Z-Medica within 24 hours. He also said that he was a terrorist who had done this before and that American law "couldn't touch" him.
As a result of the threat, FBI and the Connecticut State Police conducted searches of Z-Medica's facilities. Z-Medica also cancelled shifts, which resulted in an order for QuickClot being delayed.
The company also utilised private security for several weeks. However, no bomb or other explosive was ever found at Z-Medica.
Jain was ordered to pay USD 12,386 as restitution. He had been released on bond since his arrest in March 2012 and was ordered to report to prison on February 8, 2013.