Indian-American Jiten Ashwin Patel guns down father over dispute
- Maharashtra: Building collapses in Thane district, several feared trapped
- Nation pays tribute to Abdul Kalam, funeral in Rameswaram on July 30
- SC bench differs on Yakub's execution, refers plea to larger bench
- 'Your indebted student': Kalam's advisor pays tribute to former President on Facebook
- Gurdaspur attack: GPS shows terror team, got drug cartel help too
In a ghastly act, a 28-year-old Indian-American has killed his father in a North Carolina city, following a dispute between them.
Jiten Ashwin Patel, 28, is charged with first-degree murder of his father Ashwin Kumar Vaghjibhai Patel, 62, and is being held without bond at the Gaston County Jail, police said.
The incident happened in the Mount Holly city, a suburb of Raleigh. The Mount Holly Interim Police Chief David James said police found Jiten Patel driving the Camry in nearby Gastonia, N.C. Jiten was arrested after he was on the run for more than 12 hours.
Both the father and son operated a BP gas station in the city. The motive of the attack has not been determined yet. According to the arrest warrant affidavit, Ashwin Kumar Vaghjibhai Patel died of several gunshot wounds on January 11. His body was found inside his home and was first reported by his family members.
As per the affidavit, Jiten was not at home when the police arrived. But they found a note written by Jiten in which he said that he was sorry for what he did and that he was going to kill himself.
The Police said Jiten had a criminal record. In 2005, he spent several months in prison and was convicted of felony larceny. In December 2002, he was convicted of a drug charge in Jackson County and was placed on probation.