Indira assassin ‘great martyr’: Vedanti
- Live: Hurriyat hardliner Masarat Alam's release rocks Parliament, Cong seeks PM's statement
- Dimapur lynching: On social media, first ‘rape’, then ‘Bangladesh man’
- Seconds before being stabbed, Indian techie called husband to say she was being followed
- Land acquisition debate: ‘They gave us a window, then went back to 1894’
- Beef ban may spell doom for Dharavi leather trade
Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti on Sunday hailed Satwant Singh, the assassin of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, as a "great martyr of the Panth" for taking revenge for Operation Bluestar. Vedanti who presided over the Akhand Path ceremony, marking the death anniversary of Satwant, said Sikhs should not forget "martyrs" like Satwant who stood for the honour and the respect of the community and "punished" those who tried to itigate the Sikhs. The highest temporal seat of the Sikhs had declared Satwant, who was hanged for the assassination, a martyr many years ago.