Indira assassin ‘great martyr’: Vedanti
- Yakub Memon's mercy plea rejected, Sena calls it a message to terrorists
- Ready to discuss Sushma in Parliament, but not Raje, Chouhan: Arun Jaitley
- RS deadlock: Govt ready for debate, Oppn says get your ministers to resign first
- SC rejects Centre's review against scrapping quota for Jats
- Curfew in Jamshedpur after clashes over alleged eve teasing, at least 100 arrested
Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti on Sunday hailed Satwant Singh, the assassin of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, as a "great martyr of the Panth" for taking revenge for Operation Bluestar. Vedanti who presided over the Akhand Path ceremony, marking the death anniversary of Satwant, said Sikhs should not forget "martyrs" like Satwant who stood for the honour and the respect of the community and "punished" those who tried to itigate the Sikhs. The highest temporal seat of the Sikhs had declared Satwant, who was hanged for the assassination, a martyr many years ago.