Indira Gandhi was a woman with guts: Thackeray
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
His political differences with Congress notwithstanding, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray admires Indira Gandhi as a "woman with guts" who had the capability to govern.
Thackeray was replying to a question as to who he thought was the best Prime Minister of India, in an interview published in party mouthpiece Saamana today.
"When Indira Gandhi won the Bangladesh war, even Vajpayee (Atal Behari Vajpayee) hailed her as an avatar of Goddess Durga," Thackeray recalled. The late Prime Minister was a "woman who had guts and knew how to rule", he said.
Thackeray, however, was critical of her for imposition of Emergency in 1975.
On Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Thackeray said,"He is an intelligent man, but very mild."
Launching a personal attack on Rahul Gandhi, the Shiv Sena chief questioned the Congress leader's ability to become Prime Minister.
"Who is this Rahul Gandhi? What is there in him? Tomorrow, any school kid will rise and ask to be made the Prime Minister," Thackeray said.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress