Indonesian city to ban women from straddling on motorbikes
- Army Chief Dalbir Singh to visit J&K to review security situation along LoC
- US objects to Pakistan's nuclear threats against India
- Day after strikes: BSF told to use 'full force' against ceasefire violations
- J&K: Pakistani troops resort to mortar shelling along LoC, no casualties
- Jharkhand: 4 killed, several injured in clashes; ASP assaulted in Hazaribagh
A city in Indonesia's Islamic law stronghold of Aceh will ban women from straddling male drivers on motorbikes, its mayor said today, dubbing the position "improper".
The move comes after leaders from the country's only province ruled by strict sharia law drafted a series of new bills including banning women from wearing tight trousers, stoning adulterers and flogging homosexuals.
Under the new law, women in Lhokseumawe city, on the northern tip of Sumatra island, will have to sit "side-saddle" with their legs dangling off to one side.
"Women sitting on motorbikes must not sit astride because it will provoke the male driver. It's also to protect women from an undesirable condition," mayor Suaidi Yahya said.
"It's improper for women to sit astride. We implement Islamic law here."
Women are allowed to straddle motorbikes if the are driving, as long as they are dressed "in a Muslim way", Yahya said.
The mayor plans to publicise the ban in coming weeks and will discuss sanctions with local Muslim clerics before issuing a formal regulation.
Indonesia is the world's biggest Muslim-majority nation, but most practise a moderate form of Islam.
- India may want calibrated strategic escalation, but this genie will not be put back in easily
- Swachh Bharat completes 2 years, but eliminating open defecation is a distant goal
- Pak does not know what it has lost, India doesn’t recognise where it is winning
- Nathuram Godse was a product of the political climate created by the Hindu right wing
- Why there are protests against Gandhi’s statue in Ghana University
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP