Indonesian sports minister, Andi Alfian Mallarangeng resigns over corruption
- Kumar Vishwas claims threat to life, to file FIR against Rahul and Priyanka
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 2 States movie review: Alia Bhatt is a surprise
Indonesia's sports minister Andi Alfian Mallarangeng says he's resigning after becoming the country's first active cabinet member to be named as a suspect in corruption.
Corruption Eradication Commission chairman Abraham Samad told a news conference Friday that Andi Alfian Mallarangeng is suspected of mismanaging the construction of a $122 million sports complex in the West Java town of Bogor.
Samad said Mallarangeng will be charged with abusing power to enrich himself or others, which carries a maximum 20-year jail sentence. Mallarangeng is also the secretary of the board of patrons of the ruling Democratic Party.
The commission earlier sought to ban Mallarangeng and two other suspects, including his brother Andi Zulkarnaen Mallarangeng, from traveling abroad.
Indonesia is consistently ranked as one of Asia's most corrupt countries.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer