Industrial output shrinks 0.6%, dashes economy recovery hopes
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Election Commission sends notice to defiant Azam Khan over Kargil remark
- SC refrains from staying government move to include Jats in OBC category
- Its image dented, and spread too thin, Aam Aadmi Party struggles in Delhi
- Poll panel stares down Mamata
- BCCI moves SC to get access to statements by Srinivasan and Dhoni
Indicating persistent sluggishness in the economy, industrial output contracted to 0.6 per cent in December due to poor performance of manufacturing and mining sectors and decline in production of capital as well as consumer goods.
The industrial output, as measured by the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) had grown by 2.7 per cent in December, 2011.
Industrial production growth stood at 0.7 per cent during April-December period of this fiscal, down from 3.7 per cent in the same period of 2011-12, according to official data released here today.
Meanwhile the decline in industrial output for November 2012 has been revised downwards to 0.84 per cent from a contraction of 0.1 per cent in the month as per the
provisional estimates released last month.
The growth in industrial output for October last year has, however, been revised upward to 10.66 per cent from the first revision of 8.3 per cent released last month. The manufacturing sector, which constitutes over 75 per cent of the index, registered a contraction of 0.7 per cent in December in 2012, as against a growth of 2.8 per cent in 2011.
The growth in the output of the key sector remained low at 0.7 per cent in April-December last year as against 4 per cent growth in the same period of 2011.
The mining output in December last year contracted by 4 per cent compared to a decline in production by 3.3 per cent in the same month in 2011.
In April-December, the production in the sector declined by 1.9 per cent, against a contraction of 2.6 per cent in the year-ago period.
Capital goods output declined by 0.9 per cent in December, as against a contraction of 16 per cent in same month of 2011.
- Walmart to launch 50 stores in big India push
- Poojary banking on ‘sympathy’ for Dakshina Kannada seat
- Solution to water woes key factor in Chikkaballapur
- Eying 85 pc turnout, election dept offers many sops
- Last day, last show: Parties flex muscles, try to connect with one & all
- From societies to slums, Adhalrao-Patil on the move