Infantís kin held for rape
- Nitish Kumar's JD(U) recognised as principal opposition party in Bihar, BJP protests
- SC extends Setalvad's interim bail and asks her lawyer Kapil Sibal not to 'act smart'
- Aero India Show: Stunt planes collide in mid-air, pilots safe
- Swine flu deaths soar to 663, number of cases cross 10,000
- Maratha Mandir brings down curtains on Shah Rukh Khan's DDLJ
Kolkata: Police arrested a relative of the 18-month girl, who was raped and assaulted on the footpath near Park Street on September 26. Chandan Mallick (28), the maternal uncle of the infant's father, was picked by the police on Wednesday night. Chandan has reportedly confessed to the police of committing the crime. The girl was discovered lying in a pool of blood on Royd Street in the wee hours of September 26. Medical tests revealed that she was brutally raped and tortured. "It was an important and special case since the victim was an infant. She could not give us any information about the culprit. " he added. Initially, the police picked up 10 people on the night of the incident, including Chandan Mullick. At the time, the child's father, Raju Mullick, had raised objections. He was convinced that Chandan would never do such a thing.
Cong workers gherao Malda police station
Malda: Alleging Congress activists were being implicated in false cases, party workers on Thursday gheraoed the Englishbazar police station in Malda. Led by local MLA and Chairman of Englishbazar Municipalty Krishnendu Narayan Choudhury, the workers raised slogans alleging leaders like Choudhury and his family were being framed, and false cases slapped against them by the police. The blockade was later lifted.