Infiltration bid foiled, five militants killed in Kupwara, says Army
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
The Army Tuesday claimed to have killed five infiltrators on the LoC in Kupwara district. This is the third infiltration bid in the sector this year.
The Army said the troops noticed some movement at Ustad post near the LoC in Keran sector. When the soldiers challenged them they opened fire resulting in an encounter.
"The encounter took place 800 metres ahead of the LoC fence. Five infiltrators were killed in the gunfight," said spokesman for 28 Infantry Division. He said 9-10 infiltrators after cutting the fence sneaked into the Indian side in the wee hours Tuesday.
"The infiltrators were challenged by soldiers that resulted in an encounter in which five infiltrators were killed. Other militants managed to escape into PoK. The bodies of slain infiltrators have not been retrieved yet, as the area is inaccessible. Earlier, two infiltration attempts were foiled by the Army in neighbouring Machil sector,'' he said.
In May, an Army Brigadier and Commanding officer sustained minor splinter injuries when Pakistani troops violated ceasefire on the LoC in Nowgam sector of Handwara. After the violation, the Army blamed Pakistan for trying to push militants into the valley.
Army retrieves body of porter
Jammu: The Army has retrieved the body of one of the porters from near the LoC on Tuesday morning. On Monday one porter was killed and another injured in an IED explosion triggered by militants through a remote control device at Saujian in Poonch district. The injured porter was taken to hospital. ENS
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties