Infiltration bid foiled, five militants killed in Kupwara, says Army
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Malaysia military believes it has tracked missing jet over Strait of Malacca
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
The Army Tuesday claimed to have killed five infiltrators on the LoC in Kupwara district. This is the third infiltration bid in the sector this year.
The Army said the troops noticed some movement at Ustad post near the LoC in Keran sector. When the soldiers challenged them they opened fire resulting in an encounter.
"The encounter took place 800 metres ahead of the LoC fence. Five infiltrators were killed in the gunfight," said spokesman for 28 Infantry Division. He said 9-10 infiltrators after cutting the fence sneaked into the Indian side in the wee hours Tuesday.
"The infiltrators were challenged by soldiers that resulted in an encounter in which five infiltrators were killed. Other militants managed to escape into PoK. The bodies of slain infiltrators have not been retrieved yet, as the area is inaccessible. Earlier, two infiltration attempts were foiled by the Army in neighbouring Machil sector,'' he said.
In May, an Army Brigadier and Commanding officer sustained minor splinter injuries when Pakistani troops violated ceasefire on the LoC in Nowgam sector of Handwara. After the violation, the Army blamed Pakistan for trying to push militants into the valley.
Army retrieves body of porter
Jammu: The Army has retrieved the body of one of the porters from near the LoC on Tuesday morning. On Monday one porter was killed and another injured in an IED explosion triggered by militants through a remote control device at Saujian in Poonch district. The injured porter was taken to hospital. ENS
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express