Infiltration bid foiled in Tangdhar district of Kashmir, five militants killed
- 9 killed, over 40 injured as Bengaluru-Ernakulam Express train derails near Hosur
- SC says allegations grave, but grants relief to Teesta Setalvad in cheating case
- All you need to know about AAP's WiFi Delhi promise
- 19 killed as militants storm Shia mosque in Pakistan
- Modi’s cricket diplomacy: Renewing political contact with Pakistan
Army on Saturday morning foiled a major infiltration bid along the Line of Control in Kashmir, killing five militants.
Troops noticed movement of heavily armed militants near the LoC in Tangdhar sector in Kupwara district, 185 km from Srinagar, during the intervening night of August 30 and 31, an army official said.
The infiltrators were challenged by the troops leading to a gunfight between the two sides.
"So far, five militants have been killed.The combing operation is in progress in the area as there were reports that the group comprised six militants," the official said.
The elimination of the infiltrators comes a day after security forces killed five top foreign militants of Hizbul Mujahideen, including district commander Qari Assadullah, in Kangan area of central Kashmir Ganderbal district.
Infiltration attempts by militants from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir have increased over the past three months and more than 20 ultras have been killed during operations along the LoC.