Inflammatory ads linking Islam to terrorism go up in New York subways
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi HC upholds death sentence of four convicts
- US investigators suspect missing Malaysia jetliner flew for hours after losing contact
- Shiv Sena hits out at BJP, asks it to follow "alliance dharma"
- US court dismisses Devyani Khobragade's indictment in visa fraud case
- Ditched by Anna, Mamata rallies â around herself
Hundreds of inflammatory advertisements linking Islam to terrorism have been posted in the New York subways, according to a report.
The ads depicted an image of the Twin Towers in flames with a quote, attributed to the Koran, "Soon shall we cast terror into the hearts of the unbelievers."
According to the New York Daily, the pro-Israel American Freedom Defense Initiative paid 77,000 dollars for the message to be placed on 240 clocks throughout the subway system.
The MTA last year rejected a similarly provocative advertisement from the group, citing an authority guideline against content demeaning to any particular religious or cultural group, the report said.
The ads read, "in any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat jihad."
According to the report, the MTA, however, backed down after a federal court ruled the guidelines violated the Constitution's guarantee of free speech.