Info commissioner wants to go 4 days early
- India's future cannot exist without the future of Kashmir: Rajnath Singh
- Will appoint nodal officer to help Kashmiri youth across the country: Rajnath Singh in Srinagar
- Dec 16 Delhi gangrape case: Convict attempts suicide inside Tihar Jail, rushed to hospital
- Earthquake in Italy kills 247, toll may rise as rescuers continue hunt for survivors
- Rahul Gandhi twisting statement, must show generosity, apologise: RSS
Weeks before he is scheduled to leave office, Information Commissioner M L Sharma is learnt to have resigned from his post, apparently because he does not want to serve under a Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) who would likely be an officer junior to him.
CIC Satyananda Mishra, head of the Central Information Commission, retires on September 4, and Sharma on September 8. If Sharma were to stay till the end, he would have to serve for four days under Mishra's successor.
A panel comprising the Prime Minister, law minister and Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha will pick the new CIC, and has the option of elevating a serving information commissioner.
Deepak Sandhu and Sushma Singh are contenders — and Sandhu, who is currently after Mishra and Sharma in order of precedence at the commission, is believed to be the frontrunner for the post.
Sandhu is a retired officer of the 1971 batch. Sharma belongs to the 1972 batch, but he was in the IPS, while Sandhu was in the Indian Information Service. At the commission, Sharma — who was appointed in September 2008 — is senior to Sandhu.
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully
- India’s dependence on China for medicine ingredients is a matter of concern
- Before Balochistan, India has supported some human rights causes and ignored others
- Olympics brought many smiles — and a little bit of rancour
- Harish Gupta case involves questions about the very nature of governmental decision-making
- Tension between the executive and judiciary could play out in creative, or destructive, ways