Inmates were unaware of Ajmal Kasab amid them
- Lok Sabha elections: 11 parties come together to defeat Cong, counter Modi, say they are the 'first front'
- RJD rebellion fizzles out, Lalu Prasad takes nine MLAs to Speaker
- Shinde does a u-turn, says he meant to 'crush' social media, not electronic media
- Supreme Court rejects exemption plea, Subrata Roy to appear tomorrow
- AAP gears up for LS polls, party to add gas pricing issue in manifesto to target BJP, Cong
Even as Ajmal Kasab was lodged in one of the Anda cells in Yerawada Central Prison for two days before being hanged on Wednesday morning, jail inmates said they did not have any inkling of the development.
Some jail inmates said it was only on Wednesday morning that they suspected something important taking place in the jail after they saw a change in the behaviour of jail authorities.
Gangster Sharad Mohol, who allegedly murdered suspected Indian Mujahideen operator Qateel Siddiqui on June 8, is also lodged in one of the barracks in anda cell. "I was not aware that Kasab was shifted to this jail on Monday. Early morning on Wednesday, I felt a sense of urgency with few jail officers in the cell. However, it was only after 9 am, when I was brought out of my barrack to be taken to Shivajinagar court for a court hearing, that I got to know that Kasab was hanged in the jail," Mohol told his legal counsel M D Pawar.
Inmates of the anda cell are allowed to move out of their barracks from 4 pm to 5 pm. "On Tuesday, when we went out during this time we had no idea about Kasab being lodged in the jail," Mohol told his lawyer when he was brought to the court on Wednesday.
Akbar Shaikh, another under-trial who is lodged in security section II of Yerawada Central Prison, told his lawyer Atul Patil, "There was absolute secrecy in carrying out the operation. Our routine was not changed, nor was there any noticeable change in the movement of the jail officers. It was only on Wednesday morning that we got to know that Kasab was lodged here for two days before being hanged."
- At 23, the Indian creator of the smart ring is the youngest to address Mobile World Congress
- Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) joins hand with BJP
- Kejriwal letter questions Rahul on gas pricing, Ambani links
- Man immolates self in front of Assam secretariat
- Ex-Armyman, ISI spy for 2 years, held
- NIA nabs 2 from UP for blasts at Modi’s rally