International day of Holocaust observed in India
- Indonesian military plane crash death toll rises to 74
- Eurogroup turned down Greek bailout extension, says Finnish FinMin Alexander Stubb
- Disappointment creeping in over Modi govt's reform pace: Moody's
- Dholpur Palace: Congress' fresh document says it's a govt property
- Greece will not pay IMF debt on Tuesday: Finance minister
Tributes were paid to those who risked their lives while saving Jews and others in the Nazi sponsored Holocaust during the second World War.
The occasion was International day of commemoration in memory of the Holocaust victims during the second world war under Nazi Germany, which was observed in the national capital.
Speaking on the occasion, the Ambassador of Israel to India, Alon Ushpiz added a personal tone to the commemoration recalling how his family suffered then.
"My mother was 10-year-old when she had to run from pig shed to small safe house, thanks to the Russian army that she is alive. My grandfather saw his father beaten almost dead," the Ambassador recalled.
Kiran Mehra-Kerpelman Director, UN Information Centre for India and Bhutan read out a message from the UN Secretary General Ban ki-Moon paying tribute to those who risked their lives to save jews and others from the Nazi prosecution.
The theme of the commemoration - 'Rescue during Holocaust, the courage to care' paid tributes to those who risked their lives to save jews and others.