International Dussehra festival kicks-off at Kullu
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
As the Dussehra celebrations concluded across the country, the week-long international Kullu Dussehra commenced at Kala Kendra, Kullu, yesterday.
Governor Prabha Rau, who inaugurated the week-long festival, said the festival which is a symbol of victory of truth over evil, has not lost its importance with the changing times.
About 200 local deities converge at Kullu to pay obeisance to Lord Raghu Nath Ji, which make the festival rare, she added.
She said the national and international fairs and festivals celebrated in the state reflect the rich cultural heritage.
She said Himachal Pradesh is known as the land of gods and goddesses and the deity culture is unique to the state. She lauded the efforts of the people of the state for maintaining their distinct identity which would go a long way in promoting the tourism.
Earlier, she also inaugurated the exhibition and visited the stalls put up by various government departments and private organisations.
Khimi Ram, Deputy Speaker, Himachal Pradesh Vidhan Sabha, who is also the Chairman of the Kullu Dussehra Festival Committee, welcomed the Governor.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness