International Menís Day celebrated
- Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh, 20 jawans feared dead
- Election Live: Rahul Gandhi addresses rally on Narendra Modi's turf
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Nearly 300 volunteers of various men's rights organisations celebrated International Men's Day on Monday by spreading awareness about men-specific illnesses such as prostate cancer.
This year's theme was 'Helping men and boys live longer, happier and healthier lives'. It highlights the World Health Organisation figures showing that every year, 83 per cent of five lakh persons who die in violence are men and boys and a similar proportion of the global burden of disease ó ill-health, disability or early death ó is borne by boys or men.
"We visited Sahyadri Hospital to wish patients and doctors in keeping with this year's theme. Our team of volunteers also went to Magarpatta, Kharadi, Kalyaninagar, Fergusson College Road, Senapati Bapat Road, Hinjewadi, Chinchwad and Dange Chowk to wish men with wrist bands and roses," said Atit Rajapara, president, Men's Rights Association.
International Men's Day is aimed at improving life expectancy, improving boys' education, tackling violence against boys and men and promoting positive male role models, he added.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express