Investigating Officer rapes gangrape victim
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: Rahul breaks solid stand, Patel departs
A sub-inspector (S-I), investigating a rape case, allegedly raped the victim in a hotel room on pretext of getting her statement recorded before Faizabad Range DIG on Wednesday night. The S-I, Maan Singh, was arrested today and was produced before the court from where he was sent to jail this evening.
Singh, who was posted as senior sub-inspector at Akbarpur police station of Ambedkar Nagar district, had brought the girl to a hotel in City Kotwali police station area of Faizabad district.
Station Officer of Mahila police station Asma Majid said that the incident came to light when the victim, who belongs to Akbarpur area, sent an SMS to her neighbour from her cellphone last evening. The SMS read that she was being kept in a hotel forcibly by the S-I and he had raped her.
The neighbour informed the girl's father and they reached Faizabad in the night and met DIG PK Mishra and SSP Dharmendra Singh. The police later traced the SI and the girl at Hotel Priya in the city with the help of the cop's cellphone and raided the hotel room late in the night. The girl was rescued and the SI arrested, said Majid.
Earlier, the girl had been gangraped by three youths in her village a few days ago and a case was registered at the Akbarpur police station. Singh was investigating the case.
The girl said that Singh summoned her at the police station on Wednesday morning and asked her to accompany him to Faizabad for getting her statement recorded before the Range DIG. He brought her to the hotel room in Faizabad around noon and raped her, the SO added. The medical examination of the victim has been conducted and the report is awaited.
- Ready for elections: Parties
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs