IOA suspension culmination of dirty politics: Mahesh Bhupathi
- Stolen passports, missing debris fuel fears of foul play
- Out of the 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by Modi: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
Veteran Indian tennis player Mahesh Bhupathi feels the suspension of the Indian Olympic Association by the IOC is a "culmination of dirty politics".
"I am not sure who is personally responsible for this but from what I hear and read, it's a culmination of dirty politics," Bhupathi told 'espnstar.com'.
The IOA has suspended by the International Olympic Committee for not adhering to the Olympic charter in its election process.
Adding to the woes of Indian sports is the provisional suspension of the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation by its parent body AIBA for "possible manipulation" in elections.
Bhupathi said the developments are embarrassing.
"...I am not sure when this has happened last to any country, not being able to represent India for the sportsperson at any international meet is punishing and for absolutely no fault of theirs," he said.
However, the veteran Davis Cupper said it turn out to be a blessing in disguise for Indian sports "as long as someone in a position to make a difference takes the lead and starts cleaning up the mess one by one."
"...I have always said it needs to be a mix of sportspersons and business-savvy folks; once this is done, I am sure we will change the culture in India.
"If it is done it will be a very unique achievement and nothing special or unique is easy to do, but it can be done," he added.
- Patient’s death sparks protests, LNJP ward vandalised
- Under EC watch, money spent on campaigns on social media
- Woman used lipstick to write suicide note on wall: Police
- Unilever buys majority share in China water business
- Sisters married to a Nitish aide, one a JD(U) MLA, one an RJD nominee
- AAP men spar with Kejriwal, question LS tickets to Ashutosh, Rajmohan