IOA, WFI hopeful of wrestling returning to Olympics
- After meeting with India, Pakistan says Kashmir remains core issue
- Behind the chest thumping, India and Pak work through quieter channels to improve ties
- BJP seeks to corner govt over VVIP chopper scam, Ishrat Jahan case
- Rajya Sabha disrupted yet again over JNU row and Uttarakhand crisis
- PM Modi, Amit Shah decided RS list, Swamy made the cut with National Herald case
Describing wrestling's omission from the 2020 Olympics as demoralising, the IOC-recognised IOA and the Wrestling Federation of India hoped that the sport would be brought back on the schedule after reconsideration.
The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) said it will take up the issue with its International body FILA and build up support in the IOC for the sport's re-inclusion in the Olympic programme.
The IOC-recognised IOA acting-President Vijay Kumar Malhotra offered full support to the WFI and FILA in their campaign to keep the sport going in the Olympic Games.
Malhotra said wrestling is a part of Indian culture.
"It is an ancient game which finds mention in "our historical texts...for Indians it evokes sentiments and emotions," he said.
Malhotra said the recent good showing by the Indian and other Asian wrestlers in the Olympics had given boost to the sport in the region and removing it from the programme will de-motivate and demoralise these youngsters.
"I hope that IOC will reconsider its decision and keep wrestling as a part of the Olympic programme,"he added.
The IOC selected 25 sports as the core sports list for the 2020 Games in its meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The Executive Board of IOC recommended that wrestling be included the seven shortlisted sports for inclusion in the 2020 Olympic Games as an additional sport.
The eight sports are scheduled to make presentations to the Executive Board of IOC in its meeting to be held in Russia in May 2013.
WFI said it will do all it can to make wrestling's case strong.
"The Wrestling Federation of India will oppose the decision taken by the IOC and will make all necessary efforts to include Wrestling in the 2020 Olympic Games," the WFI said.
- Judiciary is part of the problem of judicial vacancy and case pendency
- Inter-linking of rivers holds the key to addressing water scarcity
- Those who pay surge prices for buses for 13 days should not object to taxi aggregators
- Democracy in India, affirmed through elections, is pushing Muslims to the margins
- Stories of greed and inability to see the big picture in election-time Bengal
- A neat separation of poverty estimates and entitlements won’t pass muster