IPL 2013: Fluent Shikhar Dhawan guides Sunrisers Hyderabad to easy win
It was never going to be a difficult run-chase, and Sunrisers Hyderabad, for the first time in the tournament, didn't mess up and beat Mumbai Indians by seven wickets in Hyderabad today.
Mumbai just didn't bat well enough to create some contest and served another reminder about the away success rate of teams doing well at home. After being unbeatable at home, Mumbai were a completely different side in away conditions.
The delivering batsmen failed to make a move on and the containing bowlers found it hard to get their lines right. Hyderabad opener Shikhar Dhawan was at his very best as the batsman, after missing some fixtures due to injury early on, scored his second half-century in the IPL 2013 to help his side cross the line.
Dhawan's knock was laced by nine delightful boundaries and one hit over the fence. He was all at ease in the middle, and wasted no scoring opportunity. After the early departure of Akshath Reddy and skipper Kumar Sangakkara, Dhawan continued to do the bulk of the scoring, and was ably assisted by young Hanuma Vihari towards the end. Vihari couldn't bat through, but played a decent hand in the middle.
It will be harsh to say that the Mumbai bowlers failed to deliver because there were not enough runs to play with. With the required run-rate just over six runs per over, there was never any urgency in the Hyderabad unit.
Both the captains wanted to bat, but Sangakkara, after losing the toss, was forced to bowl. Not much damage was done because of the toss as Hyderabad bowlers were right on the money, and didn't allow the Mumbai batsmen to make a move.
After removing Sachin Tendulkar and Dinesh Karthik in quick succession, the home side kept coming hard during the middle overs of the innings.
- In first visit after riots, Mulayam defends UP govt, rakes up Gujarat
- Army takes over disputed plot, Manvendra sees conspiracy
- Five seats in Assam, 1 in Tripura to vote in Phase 1
- BJP Modi video to woo Muslims
- Elections 204 begin today; TDP joins hands with BJP, both face protests
- Campuses abuzz with poll talk: Debates, banners & streetplays drive campaign
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death