IPS officer under CBI lens in CMO murder case
- Uttar Pradesh polls: SP-Congress alliance sealed, Akhilesh Yadav concedes 105 seats
- Jagdalpur Bhubaneswar Hirakhand Express derails LIVE updates: 39 dead, Railways suspect sabotage
- Jallikattu protests LIVE updates: Panneerselvam to return back to Chennai amid protests in Madurai
- Release our kids: family of Pak teen held for Uri attack
- HRD Ministry rejects RTI plea for sharing report on Rohit Vemula's death
Probe Dismissed constable close to MP is now a suspect
Some officials of the Lucknow police and its special task force are under the CBI scanner for helping suspects in the murder of former Chief Medical Officer Dr V K Arya by misleading the investigation before the case was handed over to the CBI, and later for concealing facts from the agency.
They include a senior IPS officer who allegedly concealed an important piece of evidence regarding former Lucknow CMO Dr AK Shukla and Deputy CMO Dr Y S Sachan, both accused in the murders of Dr Arya, sources said. Dr Sachan was also an accused in the murder of Dr Arya's successor CMO Dr B P Singh.
Besides, a dismissed constable of Lucknow police has emerged as a key suspect in Dr Arya's murder case. He is closely associated with a Member of Parliament who reportedly used his influence in misleading the investigation when it was being done by Lucknow police and the STF, sources said.
Dr Arya was shot dead by motorcycle riders during his morning walk near his Vikas Nagar residence on October 27, 2010. In December the same year, the Lucknow police claimed they had worked out the case and arrested some men. But on April 2, Dr BP Singh was shot dead in the same fashion while taking a morning walk near his residence in Gomti Nagar.
Later, the police had to give a clean chit to all the persons it had arrested in Dr Arya's murder case. Instead, Dr Sachan, Anand Prakash Tiwari, Vinod Sharma and RK Verma were arrested in June 2011 and booked for both murders.
Sources said that an inspector engaged in the investigation of the murder cases visited Dr Sachan in Lucknow jail to collect information. Dr Sachan handed him a letter addressed to Dr AK Shukla, requesting for help in getting him out of jail or else he would divulge the facts related to the murder of the CMOs, it is learnt.
- Rumblings in police ranks are warning: Grievance redressal mechanisms need revisiting
- Bihar govt’s decision to put 50% reservations in judicial services is step long overdue
- Public sentiment may force radicals in office to engage with their feudal foes
- To ask if Presidency’s true spirit lies in past or future is to draw an artificial dichotomy
- A ‘masala dosa brioche’ is making tempers boil but culinary invention is eternal
- Across the aisle: It is a balloon, it is a kite!