Iran relents, US now partner of Indian Ocean association
- Army out for relief in Chennai amid heavy rain, air services suspended
- Today, protest means sedition in India, says Rahul; Modi asserts people don't need to prove patriotism
- 'Real dirt' of India lies in minds, not streets: President Pranab Mukherjee
- Chidambaram hits out at govt after IT raids on son's firms
- Patidar quota agitation: Gujarat HC calls reservation an 'amoeboid monster '
The US became a dialogue partner of the Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation on Friday, with Iran relenting to its entry into the 20-member organisation, to the surprise of many.
Tehran, which signed the Gurgaon communiqué, only made a perfunctory remark about the US, saying it was being allowed into the largely economic organisation although it had placed "economic sanctions on Iran". This was conveyed by Iran at the senior officials' meeting on Thursday, though they did not raise the issue at the ministerial meeting.
Finally, the US was allowed as a dialogue partner by consensus.
The IOR-ARC now has six dialogue partners, including China. It also admitted Comoros, taking the total number of members to 20.
The association, now in its 15th year, also decided to give itself a new name as the present once was considered a tongue-twister of sorts.
India proposed an Indian Ocean university that could be an inter-disciplinary institution. Khurshid said that the idea had been put on the table, and any country could follow through.
"We will be willing to give any assistance," Khurshid said.
- Rajnath Singh's speech mocked the ideals that Ambedkar stood for
- Government should act on Jaitley’s criticism of Section 377, not look to the courts
- India will require greater ambition on increasing renewable energy
- Tactics that worked against tobacco can be used to thwart air polluters
- Not just an esoteric celebrity
- Under General Sharif, Pakistan army is carrying low-intensity war against diversity of opinion