Ishrat Jahan encounter: CBI arrests Gujarat police officer
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
CBI has arrested Gujarat Police officer G L Singhal in connection with the alleged fake encounter of 19-year old student Ishrat Jahan by a team of Ahmedabad crime branch officers in 2004.
CBI sources here said Singhal, an inducted IPS officer, who was then Assistant Commissioner of Police Crime Branch, was arrested by the agency in Ahmedabad and searches are going on at his residential and official premises.
The CBI in its FIR has alleged that Singhal who is now Superintendent of Police at State Crime Records Bureau played active role in the encounter which was later found to be fake by the Special Investigation Team constituted by the Gujarat High Court.
Jahan along with three others Javed Sheikh, Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana were killed by a team of Ahmedabad city crime branch officers on an empty road stretch between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar on June 15, 2004.
After Jahan's mother complained about the alleged fakeen counter, Gujarat High Court constituted a Special Investigation Team which concluded that encounter was fake. Following the report, the High Court handed over the matter to the CBI and is monitoring the investigations.The court had asked the agency to submit a progress report by March 15.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today