Israeli airstrike kills Hamas military commander in Gaza
- Not RSSâs job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits: Bhagwat
- Malaysia Airlines flight case: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
An Israeli airstrike killed the commander of the military wing of Gaza's Hamas rulers Wednesday, Hamas officials and Israel confirmed, in a dramatic resumption of Israel's policy of assassinating Palestinian militant leaders.
Ahmed Jabari was the most senior Hamas official to be killed since an Israeli invasion of Gaza four years ago. Jabari has long topped Israel's most-wanted list. Israel blamed him for in a string of attacks, including the kidnapping of Israeli soldier Gilad Schalit in 2006.
Israel said the assassination marked the beginning of an offensive. It was followed by a string of airstrikes around Gaza. On its Twitter feed, the Israeli military said it could be escalated further. "All options are on the table. If necessary, the (Israeli military) is ready to initiate a ground operation in Gaza,'' it said.
The killing of Jabari seemed likely to re-ignite the flare-up. Palestinians called for punishing retaliation.
Witnesses said Jabari was traveling in a vehicle in Gaza City when the car exploded. Crowds of people and security personnel rushed to the scene of the strike, trying to put out the fire that had engulfed the car and left it a charred shell.
Plumes of black smoke wafted into Gaza City's skies following at least five airstrikes, in atmosphere reminiscent of Israel's large scale 2008-2009 attack on Gaza.
Outside the hospital where Jabari's body was taken, Hamas official Khalil al-Haya eulogised Jabari and threatened Israel. "The battle between us and the occupation is open and it will end only with the liberation of Palestine and Jerusalem,'' he said.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress