Issue quota notification by March 5 or face protests: Jats to Hooda govt
- Congress says Togadia spreading venom; EC seeks recording of alleged hate speech
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs DD: DD draw first blood, McCullum departs early
Jat leaders on Sunday threatened to launch another agitation if the Union and Haryana governments do not issue a notification, granting the community reservation in central and state government jobs, before March 5.
This was decided at a meeting of Jat leaders and heads of various Khap panchayats in Rohtak district. Akhil Bhartiya Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti state president Bhagat Singh Dalal, who chaired the meeting, said: "It has been over five years that Jats are struggling to get reservation in central and state government jobs. It is only because of the arduous and continuous protests by Jats that the state government has finally agreed to grant reservation status to Jats and four other castes. However, if the Union and state governments fail to issue a notification in this regard by March 5, the Jats will be forced to re-start their agitation and hold massive protests at Delhi's Ramlila Ground or at Jantar Mantar."
A Khap leader, Hardeep Ahlawat, said: "The stance taken by the Haryana government, where Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda has agreed to grant reservation to Jats and four other castes, is satisfactory. But the only issue is that the notification should be issued as early as possible."
In another meeting held by Jats led by Akhil Bhartiya Jat Aarakshan Sangh in Jind on Sunday, state president Yashpal Malik said, "Hooda does not have power to grant reservation to Jats. For the reservation, an amendment in the Constitution needs to be done, which the CM cannot do. If the state government does not act positively on the demands raised by Jats, the Sangh will be forced to take stiff measures."
"On January 6, Meham Jat Aarakshan Samiti will hold a meeting on this issue. Khap leaders will also be invited and further strategy formulated. The Congress is going to hold an elaborate meet in Jaipur from January 18-20 and Jats will camping there during then," he added.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota