'It scares me that my daughter walks tall and straight, her head held high...'
- Inclusion of Jats in OBC list comes under SC scanner
- Elections 2014 LIVE: NDA gas balloon will burst again like 2004, 2009: Rahul Gandhi
- RBI: Growth rate to stay under 6 per cent
- Modi has deep character flaws...wouldâve contested in Varanasi if I knew Hindi: Chidamabaram
- Will not review Centre's verdict granting life to Rajiv Gandhi killers: Supreme Court
Sudha Menon on the insecurity every mother of a girl is experiencing today
Stomach in, chest out, walk with your head held high. In her growing up years, my daughter was used to my constant reminders that a great posture was very important and so was the confidence that comes from walking tall with her head held high. For me, as it is for my sisters, it is second nature because that is what our father taught us to do, back in the early seventies, when we were growing up in a suburban Mumbai town.
Suddenly, it scares me that my daughter walks like us, tall and straight and her head held high. At 21, she is the picture of self-assurance with her faith that the world is a great place to be in. But me? Not any more! Something happened in this country a fortnight ago that makes me want to pull her close to me and keep her in the secure protection of my hug and our home.
Don't walk so tall, child, don't be so proud and confident. Don't let your hair blow so gloriously in the air that everyone in your path stops to admire the bounce in your step and the smile on your face.
Don't step out of the house after dark child, for you know not what danger lurks around the corner, what monster there is waiting to pounce on your innocence. Say no, when your childhood friends come calling, tempting you to go hang out with them in a restaurant, café or a mall. Not after dark, child, come home when it is light and you can still walk home if need be and not be tempted to step into an auto or worse still, a bus, for you know not what beasts lay in wait there, to violate their own sisters. They forget, those men, that their sisters and mothers were born on this earth to be just as free as they are.
- As campaigning picks up, candidates focus on strength areas of rivals
- 143 restaurants offer 30% discount to voters on April 30
- Auto union strike: Drivers demand Tricity permit
- RO serves Pawan Bansal show-cause notice
- BJP releases ‘chargesheet’ listing 16 Cong ‘scams’
- From mobile apps to post cards to call centres, parties go all out to woo voters