Item songs today have prestige: Sameera Reddy
- Narendra Modi new talking point in Tamil Nadu, but few say they will vote for him
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh stands by his Pak remark; BJP dissociates itself from him
- Pratapgarh Dalits angry with Mayawati, Muslims feel âunsafeâ
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Bismillah Khan's family says no to propose Modi's name
Actress Sameera Reddy, who would be seen doing an item number in Prakash Jha's forthcoming film 'Chakravyuh', said the peppy numbers have got their due recognition now.
"I believe in item songs. Today these numbers have a prestige in a way. People do ask or are curious to know if there is any item song in the film. It has a strong capacity to push a film," said Sameera.
"More than a marketing gimmick I would look at it (item song) as a different way of promoting films. A song cannot be a gimmick as it requires talent and hard work. But if it is placed wrongly, then it can be called that way," she added
Citing an example, Sameera, 29, says in 'Agneepath' there was so much drama in the film but the item song ('Chikni Chameli') stood out on its own and was liked by audience.
Since a lot of emphasis is given on an item song, Sameera feels there is pressure on girls performing it.
"I feel there is a lot of pressure, as we have to do an item song to our best and look the best. There have been a lot of numbers in recent past, so there will be comparisons and everyone wants their song to be the best," she said.
Sameera said that she is grateful that Jha approached her for the song.
"Prakash Jha called me saying there is an item song in the film and that I was the only choice for it. For me that was flattering. I definitely wanted to do it," Sameera said.
"Whoever has seen the song has liked it. He is a big filmmaker and one has to trust his judgement," she added.
While 'Chakravyuh' deals with a serious issue of naxalism, Sameera feels the item song in the film will not divert the attention and that it goes with the story line.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota