It's Bal Thackeray vs the Karkares over Ajmal Kasab
- Telangana LIVE: Bill passed by throwing all norms to the wind, says Kiran Kumar Reddy after quitting Congress
- Protests in RS over Telangana, papers snatched from Secretary General
- Rajiv Gandhi killers to be released, Jayalalithaa takes decision at Tamil Nadu Cabinet meet
- Decision to black out Telangana proceedings taken by Lok Sabha secretariat, confirms Kamal Nath
- Express 5: AAP kickstarts its poll funding drive and Telangana Bill passed in Lok Sabha
In a veiled criticism of slain ATS chief Hemant Karkare's wife and daughter, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray has said that the country does not share their stance that the lone 26/11 terrorist in Mumbai police custody should be let off on "humanitarian grounds".
"The Karkare family may have a different opinion. But that is not the opinion of family members of the other policemen killed in the terror attacks," Thackeray said in an editorial comment in Sena mouthpiece 'Saamana'.
"The daughter of Tukaram Ombale, who fell to Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman's bullets but ensured that the terrorist was captured alive, has said that the souls of the 16 policemen killed in the terror attacks will get peace only if he is hanged," Thackeray said.
Referring to the slew of media interviews of Kavita Karkare, the slain ATS chief's wife, Thackeray said she has quoted her daughter who is studying in London and who feels that Ajmal should be given another chance to live and realise what a grave crime he has committed.
"Karkare's daughter should meet Ombale's daughter. We also respect Karkare's martyrdom and we are expressing our opinion while respecting Karkare's sacrifice," Thackeray said.