Its official: India 3rd worst offender in rape cases
- Foreign Secretary Jaishankar visits China ahead of NSG plenary in Seoul
- Set of six logbooks Khan left with lawyer could hold key to Essar Tapes
- Was open (to second term), consulted govt... will return to academia: Rajan
- Tavleen Singh writes: Attitude of political Hindutva elements within BJP must change if it wants to win UP polls
- Across the aisle: Fake encounter with facts, fake controversy
India stands third, leaving behind countries like Sri Lanka, Jordan and Argentina, when it comes to rape cases, latest data of the Union Home Ministry suggest. Ahead of India are only the United States and South Africa.
According to the data, 18,359 rape cases were registered in India in the first three quarters of this year while in the US, 93,934 and in South Africa 54,926 rape cases were registered respectively.
The lowest number of rape-cases was registered in Jordan (78), Latvia (260), Bulgaria (403) and Finland (596).
Some of the other countries where a large number of rape cases were reported include Germany (8,133), Thailand (5,060), Sweden (3,787) and Argentina (3,447).
Altogether 44,159 cases of different sex offences were registered across India in the said period. In such cases too, India stands third after England and Germany where 62,100 and 47,070 cases were registered respectively.
Four other countries where the number of sex offences was high include Canada (26,044), Australia (17,516), Sweden (7,924) and Argentina (3,473).
- The difference this time was the transformation of India from a friend to an ally.
- NDA’s agricultural policies are ill-equipped to achieve the stated goal of doubling them in five years.
- His acute sense of the world he lived in put him among the ‘rarest of the rare’.
- ‘Udta Punjab’ in the theatres is a victory for those whose job it is to create, provoke
- The pattern of murder
- No party aspires to radically transform UP. Each wants power for its own sake