Its official: India 3rd worst offender in rape cases
- SC bans registration of diesel vehicles above 2000cc in Delhi from Jan 1
- A day after CBI raid, Kejriwal points finger at Arun Jaitley over DDCA irregularities
- What Kejriwal’s tweets set off in BJP party office and the House
- Benchmark trial done in record 9 months, wheels of justice stall in other rape cases
- Either GST or destabilising of non-BJP govts, both cannot be together: Ghulam Nabi Azad
India stands third, leaving behind countries like Sri Lanka, Jordan and Argentina, when it comes to rape cases, latest data of the Union Home Ministry suggest. Ahead of India are only the United States and South Africa.
According to the data, 18,359 rape cases were registered in India in the first three quarters of this year while in the US, 93,934 and in South Africa 54,926 rape cases were registered respectively.
The lowest number of rape-cases was registered in Jordan (78), Latvia (260), Bulgaria (403) and Finland (596).
Some of the other countries where a large number of rape cases were reported include Germany (8,133), Thailand (5,060), Sweden (3,787) and Argentina (3,447).
Altogether 44,159 cases of different sex offences were registered across India in the said period. In such cases too, India stands third after England and Germany where 62,100 and 47,070 cases were registered respectively.
Four other countries where the number of sex offences was high include Canada (26,044), Australia (17,516), Sweden (7,924) and Argentina (3,473).
- Odd-even car proposal being enforced without evidence or cost-benefit analysis
- This isn’t the last that France will see of Marine Le Pen and her National Front
- Climate agreement strikes fine balance between ambition, differentiation and finance
- Benedict Anderson’s work spurred debates on nationalism, neglected by the Left till then
- Paris Agreement will provide the template for future climate change action
- That’s what Pakistan’s broken pledges have reduced Afghanistan to