Its official: India 3rd worst offender in rape cases
- Jallikattu protests LIVE updates: Speaker announces special Assembly session for this evening
- Bill to replace ordinance on Jallikattu to be placed in Tamil Nadu Assembly immediately: Governor
- Pre-poll alliance to take on BJP: After late night talks, SP and Cong seal deal
- Top investigator on 2013 tragedy: How pesticide got into midday meal, killed 23 Bihar kids
- Two Armymen killed in Assam ambush, forces gun down 2
India stands third, leaving behind countries like Sri Lanka, Jordan and Argentina, when it comes to rape cases, latest data of the Union Home Ministry suggest. Ahead of India are only the United States and South Africa.
According to the data, 18,359 rape cases were registered in India in the first three quarters of this year while in the US, 93,934 and in South Africa 54,926 rape cases were registered respectively.
The lowest number of rape-cases was registered in Jordan (78), Latvia (260), Bulgaria (403) and Finland (596).
Some of the other countries where a large number of rape cases were reported include Germany (8,133), Thailand (5,060), Sweden (3,787) and Argentina (3,447).
Altogether 44,159 cases of different sex offences were registered across India in the said period. In such cases too, India stands third after England and Germany where 62,100 and 47,070 cases were registered respectively.
Four other countries where the number of sex offences was high include Canada (26,044), Australia (17,516), Sweden (7,924) and Argentina (3,473).
- Rumblings in police ranks are warning: Grievance redressal mechanisms need revisiting
- Bihar govt’s decision to put 50% reservations in judicial services is step long overdue
- Public sentiment may force radicals in office to engage with their feudal foes
- To ask if Presidency’s true spirit lies in past or future is to draw an artificial dichotomy
- A ‘masala dosa brioche’ is making tempers boil but culinary invention is eternal
- Across the aisle: It is a balloon, it is a kite!