J Dey murder: Builder gets bail
- Ranji Trophy cricketer approaches RR player, offers money to fix matches
- PM Modi begins visit to France, eye on multi-billion dollar Rafale deal
- Hillary Clinton expected to announce presidential candidacy this weekend
- Tirupati killings [VIDEO]: Man who escaped says will reveal all to court
- Greenpeace foreign funds blocked, govt cites ‘talks with AAP’ as a reason
The Bombay High Court on Wednesday granted bail on medical grounds to builder Vinod Asrani, who is one of the accused in the journalist J Dey murder case of 2011. Asrani had sought the relief on the ground that his health was deteriorating and he needed an immediate liver transplant.
Senior counsel Adhik Shirodkar, appearing for the accused, told the court that Asrani's liver was severely damaged and he needed to undergo a surgery.
A division bench granted him bail on a cash bond of Rs 50,000. Ever since his arrest in July last year, Asrani had been admitted to the state-run J J Hospital several times.
Asrani and others, including journalist Jigna Vora, have been booked under stringent provisions of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act in the murder case.
He is accused of calling Dey (56) to a suburban hotel and identifying him to the shooters of gangster Chhota Rajan who allegedly shot the senior scribe dead in suburban Powai on June 11, 2011.