'Jack Reacher' premiere postponed following school shooting

Paramount Pictures has postponed the premiere of Tom Cruise's thriller "Jack Reacher" out of respect for the families of the victims of Newtown elementary school shooting.

The movie had been scheduled to premiere today in Pittsburgh but the production house says "out of honour and respect of families" they won't screen the movie, said The Hollywood Reporter.

"Due to the terrible tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, and out of honor and respect for the families of the victims whose lives were senselessly taken, we are postponing tomorrow's Pittsburgh premiere of Jack Reacher. Our hearts go out to all those who lost loved ones," the production house said.

On Friday morning, gunman Adam Lanza, 20, went on a rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, leaving 26 people dead, including 20 children many of them kindergartners.

In "Jack Reacher", Cruise stars as the mysterious title character, a drifter and former police officer who tries to solve a case involving a hired killer and a shady Russian operative known as 'The Zec'.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.